Australian Student Visas Overview
The Australian Student Visa allows you to study and work in Australia for a period equal to the duration of your course plus one month (28 days after the last day of class). You must be over 16 to apply for this visa.
A Student Visa can be associated with:
- Language Courses (eg: General English, IELTS Preparation et Cambridge, etc..);
- Professional Courses (VET Courses, Vocational Education & Training);
- Undergraduate Courses (Bachelor degree, Master’s and PhD).
To be granted a Student Visa, prospective students must meet requirements relating to their financial capacity, English language proficiency, and educational qualifications
The Australian student visa is approved only if combined with an accredited course provided by a registered Australian Education Provider, College or University. The Student Visa is linked to the confirmation of enrolment (COE = Confirmation of Enrolment), which identifies the start and end date of the course.
You can combine multiple courses within the same visa, such as a language course and a vocational course.
The minimum duration of a related visa course is 12 weeks, maximum is 50 weeks.
Student Visas Types
Below is the list of the Australian Student Visas currently available.
- Independent ELICOS (Subclass 570)
- Schools (Subclass 571)
- Vocational Education and Training (Subclass 572)
- Higher Education (Subclass 573)
- Postgraduate Research (Subclass 574)
- Non-award (Subclass 575)
Student Visas Requirements
The student visa you need depends on the chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements the applicant needs to meet are:
- Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate
- Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
- Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs
- English language proficiency
- Meet health and character requirements
- Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
5 Easy Steps to Apply for your Australian Student visa
- Decide on a course and institution
- Apply for the course
- Receive a letter of offer
- Receive confirmation of enrolment
- Apply for your visa
There is a range of entry requirements that the student/visa applicant will need to meet. Requirements for the applicant, institution application and the visa application can include:
- Academic requirements.
- English language requirements.
- Evidence of funds to support your study.
- Overseas student health cover.